Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Displaying your CCSS "I can" statements

I have been busy the last few days creating "I can" statement posters for all the first grade Common Core State Standards. When I first decided to do this and put it on TpT, I thought I would do one for each set of standards (literature, informational text, writing, etc.) That way I could release one every couple of days, then a package when they were all done. But I checked out how others were packaging theirs and see that they are selling full sets of ELA and math standards, and full grade level standards. Wow!

If you check out my silly little TpT widget, you can see that I'm not a very experienced seller. I don't create a lot of printable items for my classroom. Most of what I create goes on the SMART Board. But I really wanted a set of "I can" statements that I felt good about. I have a set that I downloaded from somewhere, but I didn't love the way they were worded. I think that they need to be written so that my students can understand them, but they still need to use the academic vocabulary that we are teaching them.

I also wanted them in poster form. The ones I had were strips for a pocket chart. The advantage to that is that it makes them easy to display and doesn't eat up valuable wall space. The downside is that they end up being so little, you can only read them from a few inches away. I never figured out a good system for storing the little strips and changing them needed, and the pocket chart was so out of the way, I never remembered to refer to it during lessons.

So here is my plan: a poster for every standard. By poster, I just mean a regular 8 x 11 sheet of paper. I've been color coding them and plan to slip them into plastic sheet protectors and hang them in sets. Then I can just flip to the ones I need, no extra storage needed. I've kept the design very clean and simple and focused all my energy on making sure I've chosen each word carefully.

If you are cunning enough to be reading this blog in its infancy, here is your prize: I'm going to post the reading literature standards here for FREE. I'll eventually put the whole ELA packet on TpT, but until then I would love for you to download it and tell me what you think! I'll put up a discounted packet with no literature standards if you decide you like the posters and want the rest. I'd love to get some feedback before I put them in the store.



If you're anything like me, you've been mentally (and physically) rearranging and redecorating your classroom all summer. I hope this helps!

Mrs. F-W

UPDATE: Get the whole set of ELA standards here!

No comments:

Post a Comment