Thursday, July 10, 2014

Welcome!

Glad you're here! I'm excited to hop on the teacher-blog bandwagon and start connecting and sharing ideas with other teachers.

As the last of the summer trickles away, I plan to share here some of the big plans I am cooking up for next year. Last year was my first teaching first grade and I feel like I spent a lot of it just figuring out what first graders need to learn. This year, I plan to teach as many Common Core units as possible. It will be my second year teaching my literacy block with Daily 5 and CAFE, so I plan to share some of the ways we use that in our classroom. I loved Daily 5 so much that I am (gulp) stepping away from our math curriculum so I can use Daily 3 math to teach Common Core units and differentiate instruction with small groups. Our district also uses Kagan Cooperative Learning. I am always looking for new ways to use the structures in my teaching. If you are a Kagan teacher too, I'd love to hear how you use it! If you're not, I'm pretty sure I can sell you on it. ;)

Let's start off with something free! I am planning to teach a unit early in the year about numbers in base ten and groups of 10. I love ten frames for this, but stuck so religiously to our district curriculum last year that I never got to use them. This document includes a page for use as a Daily 3 game. You could other run off lots of copies (not what I'd recommend), or save a tree and laminate it to use with wet or dry erase markers.



 The next few pages are ten frames with zero to ten spaces filled in. These can be copied, laminated, cut apart and used for about a million things. The last page has links to ten frame games for an interactive whiteboard.

Let me know what you think!

Mrs. F-W

No comments:

Post a Comment